The British Council Ghana administers the test a minimum of two times every month (i.e two test dates in each month) in four locations – Accra, Kumasi, Tamale and Abidjan. Choose which test helps you achieve your goals and decide on a convenient date that suits your schedule and preparedness.
The UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI), on 6th April 2015, changed its English language requirements for UK visa and immigration applications. IELTS tests are now one of only two exams included on the UK government list of Secure English Language Tests (SELTs).
UKVI accepts IELTS at levels B1 to C2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
IELTS Life Skills is a new test which assesses Speaking and Listening at CEFR level A1 and at CEFR Level B1. IELTS Life Skills can also be used to meet the English language requirements for some classes of visa application, including ‘family of a settled person’ visas and indefinite leave and citizenship.
To be used for visa and immigration purposes, IELTS and IELTS Life Skills must be taken in test centres approved by the UKVI.
|Visa||Minimum CEFR level required (May 2015)||Minimum IELTS score required overall and, in each skill, (May 2015)|
|Tier 1 (General) visa||C1||7.0 overall, and in each of the four skills|
|Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa||B1||4.0 overall, and in each of the four skills|
|Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa||B1||4.0 overall, and in each of the four skills|
|Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa||B1||4.0 overall, and in each of the four skills|
|Tier 2 (General) visa||B1||4.0 overall, and in each of the four skills|
|Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa||A1||4.0 overall, and in each of the four skills|
|Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa||B2||5.5 overall, and in each of the four skills|
|Tier 4 (General) student visa – below degree level||B1||4.0 overall, and in each of the four skills|
|Tier 4 (General) student visa – degree level and above and including some pre-sessional courses||B2||5.5 overall, and in each of the four skills|
|‘Family of a settled person’ visa||A1|
The actual test taken is the same in content, examiners, format, level of difficulty, scoring, etc. For purposes of a UK visa, the test is designed to meet certain administrative requirements specified by UKVI. These Test Report Forms are slightly different, to show that the test taker has taken the test at an IELTS UKVI session.
There are over 450,000 international students from all over the world studying in the UK, who move on to have successful careers after graduation. Graduates from the UK are in high demand from major corporate globally, and a UK qualification is recognised and respected globally.
Many international students who studied in the UK have gone on to become global icons in finance, politics and business. There is a wide range of institutions that give students a varied choice to find the most suitable study environment and thousands, of course, options to choose from.
The distinct advantage that the UK education system has is the fact that the
duration of most of the undergraduate honour degrees is 3 years and the taught
Masters courses is 1-2 years. Due to the shorter duration students will be able
to save on both tuition fees and living costs and also get a head start on
working life as they will graduate earlier. The UK is the gateway to Europe and
serves as an ideal base from which students can explore the rest of Europe.
Three reliable means of transportation via road, rail and air, make commuting
hassle-free and inexpensive, with benefit from special discounted rates while
sightseeing using The International Student Identity Card. Travels to Europe
also gives students the opportunity to learn about different cultures and
Requirements To Study In UK Depending on one’s chosen field of study in the UK, there is a much different entry requirement. The great thing about studying in the UK is that even if you don’t meet the requirements for one course, you can choose another at a different level and work your way up. The UK offers a range of study options to suit international students at all levels.
For a postgraduate course in the UK, one will need to hold an undergraduate
degree from the UK or overseas and applicant is expected to have obtained a
first or good 2:1 (or international equivalent) in a directly related subject
and will need to speak English to at least IELTS 6.5 level for most courses.
The qualifications one will need depends on the course the applicant wishes to study. Some qualifications (such as A-levels Scottish Highers and BTEC National Diplomas) are below university level and lead directly on to higher education. Others (such as HND and foundation degrees) are university-level qualifications that enable one to join a degree course in the second or third year.
One will need a good understanding of English in order
to study at further and higher institutions in the UK. In order for one to
prepare for further study in the UK, the applicant ought to take English
Language courses such as English for academic purposes (EAP) or a pre-sessional
course in the UK.
An alternative is for the applicant to take an English test such as IELTS in his/her home country before coming to the UK. The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is the world’s leading English test of its kind, that tests the four language skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking. Over 1,000 UK institutions recognise IELTS and the test is available in over 125 different countries. Ghanaians, for most schools, do not need to write a standardized language test or take an English language course if they score at least a C grade in English Language at a high school level (SSCE or WASSCE).
COMPARISM OF UNDERGRADUATE
|No.||CERTIFICATE||EQUIVALENT IN UK|
|1||HND||One or two UK A-levels, two Scottish Highers or a Higher National Certificate or BTEC National Diploma; or an international foundation year.|
|One or two UK A-levels, one or two Scottish Highers or a National Diploma; or an international foundation year.|
|3.||Diploma of Higher|
|One or two UK A-levels, two or three Scottish Highers or a National Diploma; or an international foundation year.|
|4||Degree||Two or three UK A-levels, three or four Scottish Highers, a Higher National Certificate or Diploma, or BTEC National Diploma; or an international foundation year.|
ENTRY INTO POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES
degree or a pre-master’s course
or Second Class Upper undergraduate degree or a pre-master’s course
degree, 2-3 years’ business experience
This headline has caught the attention of many nurses and doctors, and as the leading IELTS tuition provider in Ghana, we are not surprised that we have been inundated with questions for clarification.
Most of these people want to find out what this means for them and many others also think no IELTS is needed from them to travel and work in the UK. We, therefore, want to provide for our cherished clients and the general public what this review by the UK Home Office means for nurses and doctors preparing to migrate to and work in the UK.
Firstly, a Ghanaian nurse, midwife or doctor who wishes to work in the UK still needs the IELTS. What has changed is that one does not necessarily have to write IELTS for UKVIfor this purpose. Until this review, one needed to write the IELTS for UKVI to be able to apply for a visa to travel to the UK to work even when they meet the English language proficiency level set out by their respective professional bodies in the UK.
It is, therefore, true that the UK Government (Home Office) does not need IELTS to grant you visas and as such, IELTS for UKVI is no longer important for nurses and doctors to work in the UK. What has, however, not changed is the English language requirement for the UK NMC. The NMC requirement can be satisfied with the Standard IELTS or OET.
The benefit of this change to a Ghanaian nurse is that he/she can take the IELTS in either Accra, Kumasi or Tamale. Additionally, the cost of the Standard IELTS is also about 50 cedis less than that of the IELTS for UKVI.
For more information, send us a WhatsApp message.
UK NMC REGISTRATION GUIDE FOR NURSES FROM GHANA OR TRAINED OUTSIDE OF THE EU/EEA
To practice in the UK as a nurse, you need to satisfy certain necessary requirements. It is for these reasons that Dreams Consult together with its partner agencies have decided to make information available to all nurses to take advantage of. This we believe will minimise the systemic exploitation of the ignorance of these innocent nurses and midwives by some unscrupulous agencies.
Registering with the NMC is your first step to working as a nurse in the UK. To help you through registration, we have put together this quick step-by-step guide for nurses trained in Ghana or any other country outside of the EU/EEA:
- English language requirements – all applicants must show they can communicate clearly and effectively in English by undertaking the International English Language Test (IELTS) with a score of 7.0. NMC will verify the scores with the IELTS organisation. Clubbing two IELTS certificates obtained in the period of 6 months is allowed. In this case, the minimum acceptable score to be clubbed is 6.5. The NMC also accepts the Occupational English Test (OET) results.
- Practice requirements – at the time of the application, the applicant must have practised as a registered nurse or midwife for at least 12 months (full time or the part-time equivalent) after qualifying. This post-registration experience must be relevant to the field of practice the applicant is applying for. If the applicant has not undertaken any duties as a registered nurse or midwife in the three years prior to making their application, they should contact NMC to discuss available options.
- Registration requirements – applicants must hold a current registration or license without restriction with the licensing authority or registration body in the country in which they qualified or have been practising. NMC will require verification from that authority
- Education requirements – applicants must have successfully completed at least 10 years of school education before starting a post-secondary education nursing or midwifery training which should be at least a three-year programme (diploma).
- New applicants – applicants must complete an online self-assessment of their eligibility to apply before beginning the application process.
There are different fees for different stages of the application process:
- Application for nursing/midwifery £140
- Part 1 test of competence (CBT) £90
- Part 2 test of competence (OSCE) £794
- Admission onto our register £153
- Examinations– each professional field of nursing, including adult (general), children’s, learning disabilities, mental health and the midwifery profession, is examined by our NMC’s test of competence. Part one is a multiple-choice Computer Based Test (CBT), written in Ghana, and part two is a practical examination called an Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE), taken in the UK.
- Assessment – applicants will need to provide the following evidence in order to complete an assessment:
- – A valid passport. This same document must also be presented at the test centre.
- – Birth certificate
- – A qualification certificate for each qualification being submitted as part of the application
- – Registration certificates from each jurisdiction where the applicant has practised and/or been registered
- – Two employment references confirming the applicant’s post-registration practice of at least 12 months, their competence and character
- – Verifications from all jurisdictions where the applicant practised or where the applicant has been previously registered
- – Transcript of training for all relevant nursing or midwifery programmes completed by the applicant. These must be calculated in hours or be accompanied by a letter from the training institution with a key to how the credits translate to hours
- – A good health declaration from the applicant’s general practitioner or the occupational health department at their place of work
- – A police clearance certificate from all countries where the applicant has lived since the age of 18
- Identification check – applicants are required to attend a face-to-face identification check at the NMC office in London. At the ID interview, you must produce the original versions of the documents you sent photocopies of. They will make final checks on your previous registration, and take a photograph for their records.
- Final registration – once NMC has received notification that an applicant has successfully completed part two of the test of competence and the ID check, they will be invited to complete their final declaration and payment for registration online. Once both have been received, you will be sent your PIN (personal identification number), confirming that you are fully registered with the NMC. Your registration will then show up on the NMC register online.
UK IMMIGRATION PROCESSES
Applicants should be aware that they will be required to meet the full requirements of the UK’s immigration processes separately.
For more information and clarification, you can write in the comment section or send us a WhatsApp message.
Source: UK NMC
The purpose of the project is to have nurses pool resources together to help each other financially to enrol in the UK NMC register and subsequently get a permit to work in the UK.
Members of the project will contribute 650 cedis each and this money will be held in trust by Dreams Consult and IANS on behalf of members. This payment qualifies subscribers to attend classes organised by Dreams Consult. Dreams Consult will then, through training and series assessment, select members for further assessment by a team of their trainers. Those who will excel will then be booked for the IELTS with the British Council. The amount spent on the registration will be taken from the pool. CBT training and registration will then follow. Thereafter, the NMC registration fee will be paid, TB test certification done and police clearance obtained.
Upon arrival in the UK, members will refund all the investment the project makes on them at the rate prevailing at the time without interest to pay the following:
- IELTS classes fee
- IELTS registration fee
- CBT training fee
- CBT registration fee
- UK NMC registration fee
- Ghana NMC clearance fee
- TB certificate fee
- Police clearance certificate.
If one has the money and wishes to do everything by him/herself, one is encouraged to do it without being part of the project. One may also exit the group anytime they feel they can pay without assistance from the project.
Benefits of the project.
Nurses and midwives do not need to have all the money needed for the process to be able to work in the UK. They only need 650 cedis to start.
The rate of IELTS failure is reduced as every member will receive quality tuition.
The processing time will be shorter as money is always available for the next stage.
Members can choose to discontinue their membership only before the IELTS registration. However, the joining fee can only be adjusted to write off the tuition fee at a prevailing rate.
Dreams Consult is a member of the British Council IELTS Program. With this status, not only do we provide expert training to candidates taking the IELTS, but register them for the test with our expertise to avoid errors. We also ensure that all registrations are done timeously so our cherished clients do not miss out on their test date. Get the best IELTS tuition from us. We are the largest and the most successful IELTS training centre in Ghana. We train hundreds of candidates each month and the coaching ends only when the candidate passes the test. Do not be left out, join us today. Our offices are located at the addresses below and you can also call any of the numbers attached to them for further information. ACCRA, KUMASI, TEMA, For more information contact our nearest branch, call or send a WhatsApp message to 0245444499.
Mak-Geors House, Achimota,
Between New Station Overhead and Neoplan Station,
Opposite the Goil fuelling Station and Adjacent Kantanka Motors Showroom.
0303962074 / 0246000170
The Village, Adum,
Opposite the STC terminal,
In the building TV3 used to occupy and in the middle of the defunct UT Bank and the Old KMA Birth and Death Registry,
0322495250 / 0542550040
Baidoo Towers, Community 1,
Around the Ecobank Main,
Between Bank of Africa and Community 2 Roundabout.
In the Same Building with Donewel Insurance, Sunu Insurance and SIC,
0206270026 / 0555776560
Dreams Consult is a member of the British Council IELTS Program. With this status, not only do we provide expert training to candidates taking the IELTS, but register them for the test with our expertise to avoid errors. We also ensure that all registrations are done timeously so our cherished clients do not miss out on their test date.
Get the best IELTS tuition from us. We are the largest and the most successful IELTS training centre in Ghana. We train hundreds of candidates each month and the coaching ends only when the candidate passes the test.
Do not be left out, join us today. Our offices are located at the addresses below and you can also call any of the numbers attached to them for further information.
For more information contact our nearest branch, call or send a WhatsApp message to 0245444499.