International English Language Testing System (IELTS), which is a globally accepted English proficiency test, is a prerequisite if you want to study, work or live in any English-speaking (and even non-English-speaking) country. 

The British Council Ghana administers the test in four locations – Accra, Kumasi, Tamale and Abidjan – and every month, there are a minimum of two test dates for the paper-based (PB) test and a number of them (dates) for the computer delivered (CD). Choose which test helps you achieve your goals and decide on a convenient date that suits your schedule and preparedness.

Which Test to Take

If you are confused about which test to take, here’s a simplified guide:

Standard IELTS (Academic): Take this test if you want to travel to Canada, Australia, the United States of America (USA) to study for a degree, masters or PhD and the United Kingdom (UK), if you are a health professional, to register with the United Kingdom’s Nursing and Midwifery Council (UK NMC) to work.

Standard IELTS (General Training): This is the test for individuals who want to travel to Canada, Australia and the USA to work or for training programmes (and they are not required to join a professional body). You should take this test if you want to study below degree level.

ILETS for UKVI (Academic): To prove your proficiency to communicate in the English language when applying for a visa through the UK Visas and Immigration, a division of the Home Office responsible for the UK’s visa system, you need to take the IELTS for UKVI. This is required of individuals who want to study (graduate/postgraduate level) in UK educational institutions.

ILETS for UKVI (General Training): If you want to train/work or attend a work-related workshop/conference, and you do not have to register to join the professional body which regulates the industry in which you find yourself, then you have to sit this test, IELTS for UKVI (General Training). You would take this test also if you are planning on studying below degree level in the UK.

IELTS Life Skills (A1): For those who need to demonstrate their speaking and listening skills in English as part of their application to the UK Visas and Immigration for ‘family of a settled person’ visas, you need to take IELTS Life Skills A1.

IELTS Life Skills (B1): To show your English speaking and listening skills as part of your application to the UK Visas and Immigration for indefinite leave to remain or citizenship, you have to take IELTS Life Skills (BI).

Note: You need to however check with the organization/institution to verify which the tests it recognizes/accepts.

Comments: 4

Leave a comment