Work in the UK as a Midwife

First of all, the process involved in migrating to work in the UK as a midwife is no different from what nurses go through. You can read the details of that process here. However, there are a few differences as a result of the relatively lower demand for midwives.

Unlike nurses, midwives do not get sponsorship from employers after passing IELTS and CBT. This means that midwives need to complete the entire NMC registration process, get their UK NMC pin to get employed and to receive their work permit thereafter.

Now, this is what you need to do to be able to secure a work permit (Tier 2 visa) in the UK as a midwife:

  1. Write IELTS or OET
    Any of these tests is a prerequisite for the NMC registration. You can prepare for any of them by enrolling in our training programmes.
  2. Write CBT
    CBT is a theoretical test of competency in midwifery administered by the UK NMC through Pearson Vue centre in Accra. This computer-based test assesses your basic knowledge in midwifery. General nurses and mental health nurses have their unique CBT, distinct from the one for midwives.
  3. Sit OSCE
    This is the stage at which the main difference in the process is felt. In the case of nurses, an employer helps them get nurses’ pre-registration status and facilitates their migration to the UK by issuing them a certificate of sponsorship (CoS). The facilitation includes visas, plane tickets, temporary accommodation, etc. However, for midwives, they need to travel to the UK on a standard visitor visa to write the OSCE by themselves.
  4. Get the UK NMC Pin
    After passing the OSCE and paying the appropriate registration fees, the midwife is given the UK NMC pin that proves that the applicant is a registered midwife in the UK. With this status, one can then apply to any hospital to work as a midwife. The employer issues the certificate of sponsorship after the midwife receives an offer of employment.
  5. Apply for the Tier 2 visa (Work Permit)
    One will need to return to their home country to apply for this visa; they are assisted by their employers to acquire the visa, given up to a maximum of 500 pounds for flight ticket and free accommodation for a month.

    If this process seems overwhelming, midwives can choose to go to Ireland where there is a full sponsorship package similar to what nurses enjoy in the UK. Additionally, you only need IELTS; no CBT is required.

    Contact us for more details.

Related Articles


The British Council Ghana administers the test a minimum of two times every month (i.e two test dates in each month) in four locations – Accra, Kumasi, Tamale and Abidjan. Choose which test helps you achieve your goals and decide on a convenient date that suits your schedule and preparedness.

Nursing in the UK made Easier

Information received from the UK NMC indicates that effective the 7th of October 2019, the processes involved in an oversea’s nurse qualifying to work in the UK would be made simpler. This should come as good news for nurses aspiring to work in the UK as well as all industry players including us.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  1. Please what are the requirements to practise as a midwife in Ireland?And if you meet their requirements,do you have any sponsorship from them?and if yes what does it comprise.

  2. please to be clear,you said no CBT is needed for Ireland ,only ielts ,in that case will you still be registered in their NMC register. Am a midwife and interested, thank you

    1. Gud mrn.. Plz can you make it clear for me here.So what are the benefits Registered Nurses have over the Registered Midwives after writing the IELTS Exams and want to leave to any of these countries .. Canada,UK and Ireland/Thanks

  3. Hello good day, please I’d appreciate it if you can help me with some CBT study materials.
    How can I contact you directly please?

  4. I was a nurse assistant prevent after two years of study, I practiced for 3 years and went back to school to persue midwifery also for two years. I currently hold diploma in midwifery as a registered midwife.. I’m i qualified to register with NMBI and work as a midwife in Ireland? Thank you

      1. Thanks for the information..
        Am a registered midwife from Nigeria, would like to relocate to Ireland or uk..
        Pls I need ur guide about it.. Must I write ielts? If yes after my ielts whats next since no CTB is required in Ireland

    1. No please, CBT is a requirement to work in the UK, not in Canada.
      You may contact us on 0245444499 for assistance or further inquiries

  5. I am interested to working as midwife in UK, I am midwife qualify in Lebanon (middle east)and I have 15 years experiences, master’s in public health. I HAVE IELTS (SCORE:5)

    1. It largely depends on the certificate you will want to use for the CBT process. You may reach us on 0245444499 for assistance on the CBT process.

    1. You will have to write IELTS and CBT to meet the requirement to work in the UK.
      To start the process, kindly reach us on 0245444499.

    1. With your band score, you can work as a carer. For you to work as a midwife in the UK, you need a band score of 7.0. Kindly call 0240850600 for further assistance.

  6. Hello I am Rosemond Boateng, a registered midwife resident in Ghana. I have read through the criteria and I would be glad to be assisted to take an offer in Ireland. I am very ready.